Pages

Friday, October 15, 2010

Figs and Fertilizer

He spake also this parable; A certain man had a fig tree planted in his vineyard; and he came and sought fruit thereon, and found none. Then said he unto the dresser of his vineyard, Behold, these three years I come seeking fruit on this fig tree, and find none: cut it down; why cumbereth it the ground? And he answering said unto him, Lord, let it alone this year also, till I shall dig about it, and dung it: And if it bear fruit, well: and if not, then after that thou shalt cut it down. Luke 13:6-9

This parable struck me hard.  A tree without fruit slated to be cut down.  Cut down because it was a burden to the very ground that sustained it.

3 years.  For three years this tree had not bore any fruit.  I know that feeling.  There are dry spells in my life for certain.  Times where I feel there is no fruit from what I am doing.  Times where I feel I am not working to advance the kingdom of God.  Not moving in the gifts God has given me.  That's why this parable hits me.  How often has Jesus came to check my fruit?  What I am bearing.  Does He always find it?  No.

And that's the rub.  If we are not bearing fruit, we'll be lost.  A transformation of our soul is proof of salvation.  Our growing in the image of Jesus causes us to uncontrollably bring glory to God.  This happens as we change our lives.  Changing our entertainment, language, dress, lifestyle, habits, etc.  Bringing all under the submission of Christ.  All to be more like Him.  Sometimes.  Sometimes because we pull back and live for ourselves.  We want what "we want".  3 years.

I am thankful for 3 years.  Jesus is showing us He is patient.  3 years the fruit was checked.  Not just one time and then burned.  A full season of growing to see if there is any life.  We are to be eyes open on this.  Don't look at the 3 years as a "grace period" for sin.  Instead, see it as mercy.  Every day should be lived as it was the last of the 3 years.  Make today the day you bear fruit for the Lord.

Let's not forget the friend and fertilizer.  He intercedes for 1 more year.  He volunteers to fertilize the tree and till the soil.  Give the roots new nutrients and oxygen.  Invest in it for one last chance.  How beautiful.  So, if we are grateful for our 3 years, who are we fertilizing?  Are we close enough to someone to come and help them bear fruit in troubled times?  Who's doing that for you right now?

No comments:

Post a Comment