Pages

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Idols

Ye shall make you no idols nor graven image, neither rear you up a standing image, neither shall ye set up any image of stone in your land, to bow down unto it: for I am the LORD your God. Leviticus 26:1

An idol in life is not always a statue of wood or metal. It can be anything we worship or bow down to. It could be our reputation, money, a car, a house, even a relationship with another human.

God is calling us to have a heart that reaches toward Him. A heart that puts nothing else to His level in our lives. He is our father. Our creator. Our teacher. Our Lord. Do we treat Him as such? I know many times in my life I have fallen short.

I am trying to clean out my spiritual temple of idols and other junk. It's an ongoing process. I think I am making progress and suddenly I find a whole new pile of junk to deal with. I think that God works like that on purpose. Showing us enough to know we have work to do, and making the piles more manageable. The hardest part for me is keeping focused on the cleanup and not giving over to the urge to put it off, or be complacent with where I am.

How about you? Idols? Working to clean them out or happy with the junk?

No comments:

Post a Comment